Covers

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ten Rules for Writing Fiction.

I did not write this. Actually, I got it off of guardian.co.uk. 

READ IT. It was so helpful to me and it's invaluable information--told by real authors, including the fabulous Margaret Atwood.

The article comes in two parts:
Part One
Part Two



Some of my favourites:


8 Avoid detailed descriptions of characters, which Steinbeck covered. In Ernest Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants", what do the "Ameri­can and the girl with him" look like? "She had taken off her hat and put it on the table." That's the only reference to a physical description in the story. - Elmore Leonard.

1 Take a pencil to write with on aeroplanes. Pens leak. But if the pencil breaks, you can't sharpen it on the plane, because you can't take knives with you. Therefore: take two pencils. - Margaret Atwood.


3 Only bad writers think that their work is really good. - Anne Enright

4 Description is hard. Remember that all description is an opinion about the world. Find a place to stand. - Anne Enright


1 Write only when you have something to say. - David Hare



And my ultimate favourite:  

My main rule is to say no to things like this, which tempt me away from my proper work - Philip Pullman




No comments:

Post a Comment